FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ) [Blood Bank]
- What is meant by a blood bank?
- A place or organization or unit or institution or other arrangements made by such organization, unit or institution for carrying out all or any of the operation for collection, pheresis procedure, storage, processing and distribution of blood drawn from donor for preparation, storage & distribution of blood components.
- What is a blood storage centre?
- In those hospital situated at peripherals running a full fledged Blood bank is not economical & feasible and the consumption of human blood/annum will be less than 2000 units/year but to make available in such hospitals as per Clause of Schedule K of the D&C Rules to set up facilities only for the storage of WHB or its components such a place is known as blood storage centre
- Whether a Drug Licence is required to start a blood bank?
- Yes, Drug licence issued by the State Licensing Authority (DC) & approved by the Central licence approving authority (DCGI) is required for functioning a blood bank.
- Whether a Drug Licence is needed to start a blood storage centre?
- No. But an approval from the state licensing authority (Drugs Controller) is needed.
- Where can one donate blood?
- (a) Blood bank (2) Blood Donation camps organized by the regional blood transfusion centers, Distict Hospital Blood banks and by Red Cross Society’s blood banks and other blood banks which are approved by the Pondicherry Council of Blood Transfusion and by the Licensing Authority.
- What are the components prepared from Whole Human Blood?
- Packed red blood cells, Platelet concentrate, FreshFrozenPlasma, washed red cells, Cryoprecipitate, Granulocyte concentrate etc.
- What is apheresis?
- Apheresis means the process by which blood drawn from a donor after separating plasma or platelets or leucocytes is re-transfused simultaneously into the said donor.
- What are the blood transfusion transmitted diseases?
- Hepatitis B & C
- What is the minimum area required to start a blood bank?
- A minimum of 100 sq.mts for whole human blood and an additional area of 50 sq.mts is needed for separation Blood Components.
- Whether competent technical staffs are needed for functioning a blood bank?
Yes. The following full time competent technical staffs are needed
- Medical Officer with qualification of MBBS with one year experience in blood banking or MBBS DCP with adequate Knowledge in the blood group serology and in blood banking procedures OR MBBS MD in pathology
- Registered Nurse with qualification of Diploma or Degree in Nursing and registered in State Nursing Council
- Blood Bank Technician with qualifications of Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technician course with one year experience in licenced blood bank OR Bachelor degree in Medical Laboratory Technician course with Six months experience in licenced blood bank
- Technical Supervisor (in the case of component preparation) with qualifications of Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technician course with one year experience in separation of Blood Components in a licenced blood bank OR Bachelor degree in Medical Laboratory Technician course with Six months experience in separation of Blood Components in a licenced blood bank
- What is the minimum area required to start a blood storage centre?
- 10 sq.mts.
- What is the fees to be paid for grant/renewal of blood bank licence?
- Rs. 7500/-
- Whether fees is required to start a blood storage centre?
- No fees
- Who are the competent technical staff required for a Blood, Storage Centre?
- Medical Officer with qualification of MBBS or MBBS DCP with adequate Knowledge in the blood group serology and OR MBBS MD in pathology
- Technician with qualifications of Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technician course or Bachelor degree in Medical Laboratory Technician course with adequate Knowledge inthe blood group serology and Blood cross matching
- Who can donate blood?
Donor should be in a healthy state mind and body A donor of
Age ---- Between 18-60 years Hemoglobin ---- Not less than 12.5gm% Pulse ---- 50-100/min Blood Pressure ---- Systolic 100-180 mm of Hg & Diastolic -- 50-100 mm of Hg Temperature ---- Normal Body weight ---- Not less than 45 Kg
The Donor should fulfill the following criteria-
Past 1 year ---- Not been treated for Rabies Hepatitis & immunoglobulin ---- Past 6 months Past 6 months ---- Not had tattoo, acupuncture, not received blood or blood products, no serious illness, major surgery, no contact with persons with hepatitis or yellow fever Past 3 months ---- Not donated blood or been treated for malaria Past 1 month ---- Had any immunization Past 48 hours ---- Taken any antibiotics or any other medication Past 24 hours ---- Taken alcoholic beverages. Past 72 hours ---- Had dental work or taken aspirin. Not suffering from cold, influenza, Women should not be pregnant or breast feeding. Women should not donate during her menstrual cycle. Free from diabetes, not suffering from chest pain, heart disease, high B.P, Cancer or Blood diseases, unexplained fever, weight Loss, fatigue, night sweats, swollen glands, white patches in the month etc. Ever had TB, Bronchial asthma, Kidney diseases, received human pituitary – growth hormones etc.
- What are the blood products?
- Plasma Protein fraction
- Coagulation factor etc.
- Is it a requirement to display the original blood bank Licencein a premises?