ABOUT DEPARTMENT OF DRUGS CONTROL
The organizations for Drugs Control exist at two levels i.e, at the Central and State Government level:
The Central Drug Control Standard Organization (CDSCO)
It is generally concerned with policy & making of laws and rules and management of committee such as Drugs Technical Advisory Board (DTAB) and Drugs Consultative Committee (DCC). It deals in licensing work such as Grant of Licence meant for manufacture of Large Volume Parenterals, Vaccine & Sera, Blood Bank and Blood Components, Medical devices and products manufactured by Recombinant technology. It also deals with new drug clearance, clinical trials, import registration, import of drugs, Export of Drugs etc., and inspections.
The State Drug Control Department
On the other hand, It deals with licensing of both manufacturing and sales premises of drugs & cosmetics. Its most important mandate is to ensure the supply of quality drugs at the price fixed by GOI (NPPA) to the people of the U.T. of Puducherry.
Drugs Control Department, Pondicherry has its beginning with the appointment of Assistant Commissioner, Licensing Authority, Drugs Inspector, etc. The Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 and Rules,1945 were implemented in Puducherry with effect from 2006.
Drugs Control Department in U.T. of Puducherryis the State prime organization to ensure consumer gets quality drugs at price fixed by Govt. of India - National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA)
The Drugs Control Administration in U.T. of Puducherry is an independent department under the Ministry of Health and Family welfare in the Government of PUDUCHERRY headed by Commissioner, as its Administrative head who will be reporting to Secretary to Government, Health and Family Welfare Department.
Further, the Food & Drugs Administration is delinked in 2011 and constituted as three departments, such as :
- Department of Drugs Control;
- Department of Food Safety; and
- Department of Food and Drugs Testing.
The Present Office of Drug Control Department in Puducherryis functioning in the First Floor of the Primary Health Centre Campus at Murungapakkam which is about 4 Kms away from the main city and the sanctioned posts / Level Of Officers which are existing and to be created are:
|Sl. No.||Name of the Post||Existing Strength||To be created|
|NIL||1 Post (in lieu of one post of Assistant Commissioner)|
|02.||Assistant Drugs Controller /|
|03.||Drugs Inspector||4 Posts||4 Posts|
|05.||Assistant||2 Posts||2 Posts|
|08.||LDC||1 Post||2 Posts|
|09.||Data Entry Operator||NIL||4 Posts|
|10.||Record Clerk||NIL||1 Post|
|11.||Store Keeper||NIL||2 Posts|
|13.||Peon||3 Posts||1 Post|
|15.||Sanitary Assistant||NIL||1 Post|
Drugs & Cosmetics Act, 1940 and Rules recognizes mainly three Functionaries-
The State Government by notification in the Official Gazette appointed Drugs Inspectors to be Inspectors under Section 21 of Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 for areas assigned to them.
Licensing Authority is the controlling officer for manufacturing / sales Establishments. However, with the approval of state government, he has delegated the powers of Licensing Authority in respect of sales establishments to Asst Drugs Controllers working at Circle offices
Drugs Controller is controlling authority. All inspectors are officially sub-ordinate to Controlling Authority.
Head Office Functions
- Overall administration of the entire organisation
- Grant / renewal of Manufacturing licenses for Drugs & Cosmetics, Approval of laboratories, Blood Banks and Blood components, Blood Storage Centers,
- Approval to Recognized Medical Institutions for transport, possession and use of Oral Morphine for palliative care in cancer patients.
- Inspections of manufacturing units of Drugs, Cosmetics, Approved laboratories, Blood banks and Blood Storage Centers and medical devices.
- Investigation of complaints.
- Drawl of samples from manufacturing and sales establishments
- Issue of certificates such as GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) certificate, Free Sale Certificate, Tender purpose Certificate, Export Registration Certificate etc.,
- Overall administration of the entire organization.
- Three deputy Drugs Controllers placed at Hqs will also be monitoring the administration and functioning of officers working at 6 circles of Bangalore urban district.
Other functions are:
- Inspections of sales / manufacturing establishments whenever required
- Any other work assigned by higher ups.
One Drugs Inspector for monitoring and inspecting is attached to Head Office of the Department of Drugs Control and another one for other regions such as Karaikal, Mahe and Yanam.
|Sl. No.||Name of the officer||Name ofDrugs Inspector Sri/Smt||Jurisdiction|
|01.||M. Balassoupramanien||M. Dhanasekaran||Whole of Puducherry Region|
|02.||Dr. E. Anandakirouchenane||Karaikal, Mahe&Yanam Regions|